Skip to main content

Seat Assignment

Visual Poetry

Read and chose from one of the three poems provided and draw most important elements. Note key words, themes, general ideas. Then, using the ideas from the poem, either cut out words and arrange them into a visual poem that reflects the story told or use a word processor on a personal computer to arrange them into a picture that reflects the poem. You can either use all the words in the poem or just the essential key words.
Visual Poems

Material: poem on paper, scissors, glue, background paper OR word processor on personal computer
Process: Read poem and draw most important elements. Note key words, themes, general ideas. Then, using the ideas from the poem, cut out words and arrange them into a visual poem that reflects the story told. You can either use all the words in the poem or just the essential key words to represent the poem.
Form: visual poem made in the end
Content: one of the three poems provided
Context: online resources are available for understanding the poem. The assignment is doable within your own desk but you are free to walk around and talk to other students about the poems. We will share them with each other in the class.































ROBERT FROST “THE ROSE FAMILY”

The rose is a rose,
And was always a rose.
But the theory now goes
That the apple’s a rose,
And the pear is, and so’s
The plum, I suppose.
The dear only knows
What will next prove a rose.
You, of course, are a rose –
But were always a rose.


NATASHA TRETHEWAY “HOUSEKEEPING”

We mourn the broken things, chair legs
wrenched from their seats, chipped plates,
the threadbare clothes. We work the magic
of glue, drive the nails, mend the holes.
We save what we can, melt small pieces
of soap, gather fallen pecans, keep neck bones
for soup. Beating rugs against the house,
we watch dust, lit like stars, spreading
across the yard. Late afternoon, we draw
the blinds to cool the rooms, drive the bugs
out. My mother irons, singing, lost in reverie.
I mark the pages of a mail-order catalog,
listen for passing cars. All day we watch
for the mail, some news from a distant place.







ANAIS NIN “RISK”
And then the day came,
when the risk
to remain tight
in a bud
was more painful
than the risk
it took
to blossom.

Comments

  1. https://tma457mandarinwilcox.blogspot.com/2019/02/seat-assignment-response.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Digital Media Performance

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1koIC1xdX0URtpqbOFd0OU33721hxzHz7SMkdlcGhv4Q/edit?usp=sharing Reflecting on this project, I am unsure if I would use it in my high school class. Although I did enjoy many aspects of this project, it just seems a bit too unbridled and individualistic for high school students. That being said, I believe this project was appropriate for both our age and skill level. We were given the freedom to discuss what we wanted to, which was way fun to explore where our lives and opinions intersected. I still believe that an overall theme would have been helpful. Our guided discussions at the beginning where pretty helpful at accomplishing an individual theme for our performance, but I was still not sure about what was expected of us. I would have also appreciated to see more examples since I was kind of unsure about what was expected, despite having a grading rubric. If I were to adapt this project for high school students, I would have formatted it to align w...