Skip to main content

An Identity Remix

Before pointing out its flaws, I would first like to say that I absolutely adore The Little Prince. The lessons and morals within the story touched me in ways as a 12th grader that was incomparable to everything else I learned in high school. However, there was always just one thing that always bothered me about the book. The way women and female characters were portrayed went against what I stood for and my identity as a female. The Little Prince employs the “Smurfette Principle”.
Before this project, I had no idea what the “Smurfette Principle” was. I knew that there was something about the way women were portrayed in television, media, and popular culture that really irked me but I did not have the words to define why. A quick google search and Wikipedia article later, I finally understood why I feel as a woman that my gender is my number one defining characteristic. To define the “Smurfette Principle” in a nutshell, it’s the way that media portrays women as a character dependent on both men and her gender. Being a woman is her only characteristic and she is often thrown into a piece of work as either a way to give women some representation or to introduce a love interest. The smurf part comes from smurfette, a female smurf who lives in a village where everyone has a talent and hers is “girl”.
The Little Prince is guilty of this annoying trope. The prince experiences many fantastic adventures, learning lessons, and meeting predominantly male characters. Meanwhile, his friend the rose (who uses female pronouns), is stuck on the planet, only waiting on the prince to provide her comfort, compliments, and care. She is manipulative, vain, and beautiful. How come she had to be female when all the other characters in the book are male?
For my project, I originally wanted to rewrite The Little Prince with swapped gender roles, but then I realized that it is around 80 pages long. Thus, I redrew the cover with a female presenting prince (now princess) and a bush rather than a rose. My rendition does bring up other problems about gender- what defines these characters as their identifiable gender and am I just feeding into the stereotypes? Just because a character has long hair does not mean they are female, and just because I changed the feminine rose to a bushy shrubbery does not mean it is male.
However, I would like to focus more on how much the story would change had the prince been a princess and the rose had been either genders- it would be much more relatable for me as a girl and would have been just as beautiful.

I know this principal will sneak into my classroom when I begin teaching. It is something I am passionate about and I would like to address it with my students. I also hope to find literature that avoids this principal so that I can help mold students conceptions of female roles before they become too influenced by other media. I will still involve pieces of work that does struggle with this problem, but I hope to address the issues of gender portrayals and help students recognize why they are problematic.

Comments

  1. Sierra, I am impressed by the mimicry of the original book cover while you also provide your own unique style. Your piece clearly and powerfully represents these issues you bring up in your response. What aspects of the assignment would you consider altering or adapting to fit into your own classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra! I really, really loved the product of your assignment. The Little Prince is one of my favorite books in the world and I hadn't even thought about how it might have changed things for me (I first read it when I was in grade school and have read it many times since) had the main character been a girl. I think there's such a lack of representation of independent, smart, curious, powerful females in the media and I loved the hypothetical situation you created with your art piece. I hope there's more of this in the future! You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Digital Media Performance

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1koIC1xdX0URtpqbOFd0OU33721hxzHz7SMkdlcGhv4Q/edit?usp=sharing Reflecting on this project, I am unsure if I would use it in my high school class. Although I did enjoy many aspects of this project, it just seems a bit too unbridled and individualistic for high school students. That being said, I believe this project was appropriate for both our age and skill level. We were given the freedom to discuss what we wanted to, which was way fun to explore where our lives and opinions intersected. I still believe that an overall theme would have been helpful. Our guided discussions at the beginning where pretty helpful at accomplishing an individual theme for our performance, but I was still not sure about what was expected of us. I would have also appreciated to see more examples since I was kind of unsure about what was expected, despite having a grading rubric. If I were to adapt this project for high school students, I would have formatted it to align w...