For my creative interpretation of Larry Woiwode’s “Ode to an Orange”, I decided to translate the prose into a commercialized instruction label for oranges. My reasons are as follows: Woiwode’s description on how to eat an orange was very specific, much like something you would find on the back of a packaged meal. His use of imagery and particular directions on how to peel, cut, or obtain an orange called this image of an instruction label to my mind, so I decided to format it as such.
Although my creation/interpretation of “Ode to an Orange” isn’t intrinsically media centric (instructions aren’t typically seen as popular media), I believe it gives commentary on art and commercialization. This may be a bit of a stretch, but as I created the label, I thought of how art can be commercialized and things that are commercialized can become art. For example, my friend showed me a video last night of a person talking in a commercial without any music, and someone had noticed the way the announcer’s voice fluctuated between every word. The person then payed attention to what note each of the words could correlate to (it sounded like the announcer was almost singing, the way he spoke was just incredibly exuberant), put them all together, and created a piece of music. On the other hand, art can be and typically is commercialized. I have seen the Mona Lisa plastered onto a billboard to help advertise something seemingly unrelated to the piece of art (I think one time I saw her being used to advertise braces or other mouth related adjustments since she isn’t smiling), or I have heard a well known classical piece of music used in a commercial to help evoke feelings associated to the song. Art can be used commercially and commercialized things can become art. I also find this applicable to the conversations we have in class- when is it acceptable for our own use or gain? Many large companies don’t seem to have a problem with manipulating classic pieces of art or music for their monetary gain. I am realizing how I can use art and media as well to help my future students connect with what is being taught.
In order to make this project, I had to figure out the best word processor or photoshopping tool to accomplish the right affect. This was difficult because I am not well versed in photoshop, and I didn’t know how to replicate the style of a nutrition label. Luckily, I found websites with information about how to make your own label and what type of font is used. I wasn’t able to replicate it exactly, but hopefully it gets my point across.
Originally, I was going to print off the label, place it on an orange, and photograph it. I ultimately decided against this because I thought it might detract from what I wanted people to notice- the fact that it wasn’t an ordinary instruction label, but that is was from a piece of literature made into instructions.
Actual nutrition facts of the orange (on the left) are courtesy of anasfim.com
Although my creation/interpretation of “Ode to an Orange” isn’t intrinsically media centric (instructions aren’t typically seen as popular media), I believe it gives commentary on art and commercialization. This may be a bit of a stretch, but as I created the label, I thought of how art can be commercialized and things that are commercialized can become art. For example, my friend showed me a video last night of a person talking in a commercial without any music, and someone had noticed the way the announcer’s voice fluctuated between every word. The person then payed attention to what note each of the words could correlate to (it sounded like the announcer was almost singing, the way he spoke was just incredibly exuberant), put them all together, and created a piece of music. On the other hand, art can be and typically is commercialized. I have seen the Mona Lisa plastered onto a billboard to help advertise something seemingly unrelated to the piece of art (I think one time I saw her being used to advertise braces or other mouth related adjustments since she isn’t smiling), or I have heard a well known classical piece of music used in a commercial to help evoke feelings associated to the song. Art can be used commercially and commercialized things can become art. I also find this applicable to the conversations we have in class- when is it acceptable for our own use or gain? Many large companies don’t seem to have a problem with manipulating classic pieces of art or music for their monetary gain. I am realizing how I can use art and media as well to help my future students connect with what is being taught.
In order to make this project, I had to figure out the best word processor or photoshopping tool to accomplish the right affect. This was difficult because I am not well versed in photoshop, and I didn’t know how to replicate the style of a nutrition label. Luckily, I found websites with information about how to make your own label and what type of font is used. I wasn’t able to replicate it exactly, but hopefully it gets my point across.
Originally, I was going to print off the label, place it on an orange, and photograph it. I ultimately decided against this because I thought it might detract from what I wanted people to notice- the fact that it wasn’t an ordinary instruction label, but that is was from a piece of literature made into instructions.
Actual nutrition facts of the orange (on the left) are courtesy of anasfim.com
I really enjoyed your media project. It's simple and yet so aesthetically pleasing. They way the directions are all lined up, the same font, and same color. It really put my mind at ease by the simplicity of it. I'm glad you decided not to put it on an orange, I completely agree that it would have detracted from it's look and the instructions on the label.
ReplyDeleteYour media project was very unique. It was so different from everyone else's and I really appreciate that. I think it shows the uniqueness of our students and how they are creative in different ways. By giving you the option to choose how you're going to design your project we learned more about you and your individuality. I think as teachers this is something we should encourage in our students, rather than try to push them to be all the same.
Sierra, what a thoughtful and interesting piece! The marriage of something recognizable and seemingly mundane with something new and inventive is effective and engaging. I also love how it opens up the conversation about what is literature and art; could a normal nutrition label constitute as both of these? Engaging with the discussion about commercialization and art is also important and one that can be brought into the classroom as students are engaging with their own work and the work of their peers.
ReplyDelete