Creating with Words project: Style Hack (139-142). Students take an alternative genre of media and demonstrate understanding of a subject. I did something similar to this in High School, where we had to create social media accounts for characters in a book. It made us have a deeper understanding of the character because we would have to post things that would be in character for them.
Creating with Images: Emoji Story (175-178). Students tell or recreate a story through emojis only. I think this would be interactive and fun for teenagers and would prove their understanding of the story line.
Creating with Sounds: Playlist a Life (195-197). Students create a biographical playlist for a subject. I actually do this in my free time, creating playlists for characters in shows or movies that I like. It is really fun to contemplate the mood and personality of the character and what songs best exemplify their persona.
Creating with the Body: Humojis (210-213). Students create emojis from their own faces and use them to interact with an article or text. I like this because it makes it more personal than to use emojis.
Creating with Stuff: Board Game Remix (242-245). Students create a board game based off of a plot line, process, or journey. I did this one in high school as well and enjoyed it. Demonstrates a deep understanding of plot points.
Creating with Social Media: Fauxial Media Profiles (290-292). Similar to the creating with words project, students create parody accounts to demonstrate content knowledge. I found this very fun and interactive as a student and would like to share it with my students.
Edit: I liked the project where students capture the essence of a story with book titles. It's just a creative way to help students compress the essence of a book within a few words but the words are already given so it doesn't take too much creativity.
I also found the gif story very interesting as well- many students don't have the motivation or time to complete a novel, short story, or poem, but still have the desire to create a story. Gifs are a fun way to express a story.
Overall, if I were to do these projects in my classroom, I would need to be sure they address learning objectives and don't become busy work.
Creating with Images: Emoji Story (175-178). Students tell or recreate a story through emojis only. I think this would be interactive and fun for teenagers and would prove their understanding of the story line.
Creating with Sounds: Playlist a Life (195-197). Students create a biographical playlist for a subject. I actually do this in my free time, creating playlists for characters in shows or movies that I like. It is really fun to contemplate the mood and personality of the character and what songs best exemplify their persona.
Creating with the Body: Humojis (210-213). Students create emojis from their own faces and use them to interact with an article or text. I like this because it makes it more personal than to use emojis.
Creating with Stuff: Board Game Remix (242-245). Students create a board game based off of a plot line, process, or journey. I did this one in high school as well and enjoyed it. Demonstrates a deep understanding of plot points.
Creating with Social Media: Fauxial Media Profiles (290-292). Similar to the creating with words project, students create parody accounts to demonstrate content knowledge. I found this very fun and interactive as a student and would like to share it with my students.
Edit: I liked the project where students capture the essence of a story with book titles. It's just a creative way to help students compress the essence of a book within a few words but the words are already given so it doesn't take too much creativity.
I also found the gif story very interesting as well- many students don't have the motivation or time to complete a novel, short story, or poem, but still have the desire to create a story. Gifs are a fun way to express a story.
Overall, if I were to do these projects in my classroom, I would need to be sure they address learning objectives and don't become busy work.
Sierra, "Playlist a Life" can be be a great tool to help students think about characters deeply and consider all aspects/ of their life or personality. Besides, it draws on their interests and allows them to use music they are interested in/familiar with -- starting with this already helps the activity be efficacious. It can also be a great physical representation/reference to compare and contrast different moments in the work and help with analysis.
ReplyDeleteSierra, I don't know how I missed the "humoji" activity when I did the reading, but I think that's such a fun activity. I imagine that it would work so well to help students react to a text. It would definitely get silly, but I imagine you could have students with similar and then opposite "humojis" find each other and talk about their response to the text. This would be an interesting activity that highlights an additional type of literacy for students.
ReplyDelete